During this time of the pandemic, we are adapting classes in the School for Recovery to work in a virtual setting, whether through videos on our YouTube channel or through a virtual gathering. While the goals of the School for Recovery remain the same (see below), in the Virtual School for Recovery we will intentionally focus on classes to help reduce anxiety, connect and heal.
As the classes develop we will add the schedule to this page.
Meditation, Anne K., 1:30-2:15pm
Description: Learn the foundations of mindfulness. This pre-recorded YouTube video class promises a calming environment that will help with stress reduction and self-esteem. A wonderful class for people who have trouble with anxiety and sitting still.
The School for Recovery gives Café members and non-members the chance to grow, heal, discover, take risks, and surprise themselves by doing and becoming what they never thought possible. Members of the Café can sign up for as many classes as they wish. Volunteers are also encouraged to take classes as a benefit of serving the Café. Volunteer Teachers are able to teach a topic of interest and craft their own schedule and frequency– whether it’s weekly or bi-weekly classes, or monthly or bi-annual workshops.
While the word “recovery” doesn’t appear in most of course titles, every single class is designed to provide support, wisdom, and companions for the hard work of making healthier choices as we live with whatever it is we are recovering from.
Participation in the School advances the recovery journey in a number of ways:
- Taking classes gives people meaningful things to do with their time and gets them out of their heads
- Offers them ways to build deeper relationships with people who are serious about recovery
- Provides mentors who are committed to their healing and growth
- Introduces them to new ideas and experiences that can take them on life-giving paths they’ve never imagined
- And most importantly, the School for Recovery is about letting yourself get passionate about something and diving into it in creative, healing ways